Hello.
I started a project whose goal is to allow users to track the reaction
of the crowd to their posts. This includes showing all the replies and
retweets born as reaction to the original message, organizing the data
in a threaded schema. While finding retweets of a particular message
is fairly easy using the Search API (Query: "RT @user <some words of
the message>"), finding and filtering all the replies can become a non-
trivial work quite fast.

While tracking the replies given directly to you isn't particularly
hard, though not very efficient (find posts directed to you via search
API -- "to:user since_id:<tweet id>" -- and then filter by
in_reply_to_status_id), it becomes a nightmare when you want to track
what your followers' friends have answered to the replies you got from
your own followers.

Example of conversation:
Me: any idea about how to track the whole conversation originated from
this tweet?
MyFollower: @Me try posting in the twitter dev talk, maybe they can
help you
AFollowerOf_MyFollower: @MyFollower I know for sure those guys are
very supportive

Tracking MyFollower's response is not a big deal, even if the "first
fetch them all, then select those you need" may not be the most
efficient to implement for large volumes of tweets -- think to the
power-users with thousands, if not millions, of followers -- since
above certain limits, API usage caps (especially about number of
tweets that can be retrieved at once) start becoming an issue.

The real problem comes when you want to show in the threaded
conversation AFollowerOf_MyFollower's tweet, too. Sure thing, you can
use the same strategy as above (Search "to:MyFollower", fetch all,
filter by in_reply_to_status_id), but now instead of having to do a
single query (to:Me) to retrieve the replies to your posts, you have
to perform a fetching and filtering cycle for every person who took
part to the conversation: the growth is exponential.

A solution may be to allow searches by in_reply_to_status_id
(something like "reply:<status id>")... this would greatly lower the
cost of looking for replies to your posts. Would it be possible to
have such a feature exposed in future? Are there other, more efficient
solutions, anybody can suggest to solve my problem efficiently?

Thank you for the support. I apologize for the long post and my bad
English, but I'm not a native English speaker and I tried to expose my
problem as clearly as I could.
-- Michele