  From: Doug Williams
  To: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:22 PM
  Subject: [twitter-dev] Re: oAUTH - can it be done without interaction with a
core browser?

  The call to http://twitter.com/oauth/authorize (or the Sign in with Twitter
equivalent http://twitter.com/oauth/authenticate) requires a browser to render
the HTML necessary for the user prompt. This is a limitation we recognize with
the current beta release of the OAuth implementation.

  Doug Williams
  Twitter API Support
  http://twitter.com/dougw

  On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Guan Yang <g...@yang.dk> wrote:

    On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 14:37, Jeff Bishop <jeff.bis...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > 1.  Get all of the required items from the user outside of Twitter's
    > interface?
    > 2.  Authenticate (like with basic auth of some type using XML posts)?
    > 3.  Be able to post back to get the token information.

    I'm not completely sure what you want, but you could do something like this:

    - Obtain a request token and secret.
    - Start up a browser and send the user to http://twitter.com/oauth/authorize
    - Display a button that says something like "click here when you're done"
    - When the user clicks that button, assume that you're authorized with
    Twitter, and make a request to obtain the access token.
    - If that's not the case, repeat the process.

    The point is that you don't really need any information back through
    the callback other than the fact that the user has completed the
    authorization process. But that can be accomplished simply by having
    the user click a button.

    If you are able to register URI schemes in the operating system that
    will launch your app, there is a different way of doing this. Suppose
    you've registered mycoolapp:// with the operating system. Then you can
    supply an oauth_callback parameter to
    http://twitter.com/oauth/authorize that looks something like this:

    mycoolapp://twitter-authorize-complete

    After successful authorization, Twitter will then redirect to something like

mycoolapp://twitter-authorize-complete?oauth_token=xxx&screen_name=guan&user_id=1234&other_params=values

    That way your app will automatically be launched after authorization
    and you can call access_token at that point.

    Guan

database 4020 (20090420) __________

http://www.eset.com