PHP code used:

Hence the error message given is "could not authenticate" -$response

while( $message = array_pop($messages) ){
$ch = curl_init('http://twitter.com/statuses/update.xml');
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, 10);
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, 'status='.urlencode($message));
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERPWD, $settings['twitter-username'].':'.
$settings['twitter-password']);
        $response = curl_exec($ch);
        $resp = curl_getinfo($ch, CURLINFO_HTTP_CODE);
        curl_close($ch);
        echo  '<br>posted '.urlencode($message).'<br>';
        if ( $resp != '200' )
                die('Problem with twitter. We should try later. Twitter
reported: '.
$response);
        else
                sleep(5);//Sleep 5 seconds before the next update
}