Let's say I want to write an application that operates a twitter account X,
and I want the application to obtain every hour for each follower Y of X to
obtain the count of followers of Y (how many, not the actual list).

I know I can do this via the followers.xml API but that (a) returns only 100
of X's followers at a time, and (b) returns a LOT of data I don't need. Yes,
within that data for each follower of X there is the info I need, but this
is very wasteful way of obtaining the data. And since twitter rate-limits
applications to only 100 API calls per hour this would not work when account
X has more than 10K followers.

So what are my options?

Thanks, --Joe