You guys are smart. Three things:

1) The cache is slow to warm up. Therefore there was some latency involved
with the restart of the service.

2) Some of you may have noticed problems about an hour after the restart.
Some important objects expire from cache after an hour. Since there was a
huge influx of objects expiring 1 hour after the restart presumably together
there were problems as the database began to be overworked. We're doing a
post-mortem now to determine how to better keep the cache hot even after
objects are cached nearly simultaneously after restarts like we experienced
today.

3) The downtime today was to increase capacity, which does not exactly
translate to performance.

Thanks,
Doug
--