Joel - with paging. The basic principle is this
1) As you start, keep the last since_id persisted somewhere
2) When you reach the end of the page, progress to the second page,
with the same since_id etc.. and you keep going till you cant get any
more.

Next time you want to refresh/resume data polling/loads you just pick
it up form the last since_id you had loaded.
Sherif