I'm working as part of the #twumpet team and as part of our project
we're developing an application as well as running some Twitter events
- the first having been Eurovision earlier today.

As we hit the top trend, #twumpet got - and is still getting -
enormous amounts of spam. Spammers are signing up, blitzing messages
through one immediately after another, and then moving on to the next
account.

Does anyone know if Twitter are going to stop users firing tweets off
one after another so blatently like this? I just checked on a couple
of top trends and all I can see is spammers tonight.

Also, as a developer working on a project which will be dealing with
trending topics and popular searches, I need a quick way to throw out
spam messages.

I have a couple of ideas for strategies but would be interested in
discussing them, and perhaps a group effort which used Twitter itself
for rapid short term spam classification & reporting [through Twitter
search or a further API]. The one thing about spammers is they appear
and disappear extremely quickly so any lists would be very short and
'live', at least for now...

@newretro