Quick searches of the group didn't yield much information for me, so
forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I'm working on an application that could benefit from knowing the
user's timezone. While I could use the current UTC offset, knowing the
fixed zone would be the ideal solution. Currently, "time_zone" returns
a general string (ie "Eastern Time (US & Canada)"). Is there a
reason for this return format instead of using, say, the standard
Olson / Zoneinfo / tzdata name (ie "America/New_York")?

-- Ryan Chouinard