Hi, I feel a little bad that I always use twitter-dev to whine about bugs in
the search API.  But it's really great and you can build interesting things
on top of it!
We just put up an experimental search/text analytics app that clusters
tweets based on key phrases and terms relative to a specific search query.
It can sometimes be helpful for knowing *why* a term is trending, or for
finding different types of sentiments people have toward something.  There's
also a more research-y direction for discovering related concepts for a
query.

The first draft, experimental version is up; please play around with it if
you're in to this sort of thing.

http://tweetmotif.com
http://anyall.org/blog/2009/05/announcing-tweetmotif-for-summarizing-twitter-topics-with-a-dash-of-nlp/

-Brendan