Our application (glu) relies on follow notifications so that we can
follow back anyone that follows us. we're now only receiving follow
notifications intermitently.

If we use one of our test accounts, that already follows glu, unfollow
them,  log out, remove them from our follow list on the glu account,
log back in with the test account and then follow glu again we do not
recieve the follow email, or any email of the kind.

We are receiving direct message mails though.

Has the policy on follow emails changed recently and we're just not
aware of it, or is something up?

Dale