Working within the rate limits is a really big pain in the tail :).

Had to get that off my chest.  The issue I'm seeing is that I'm
getting the following response with a 403 code.

{"request":"\/direct_messages\/new.json","error":"There was an error
sending your message: You can't send direct messages to this user
right now"}

Per the docs it should return a 400 for rate limited responses.  This
way it's impossible for me to determine if the action isn't allowed or
if it's just rate limited.  Is this a bug or am I misreading the docs?

http://twitterapi.pbworks.com/HTTP-Response-Codes-and-Errors