Let's discuss the follow limits.  I feel, as developer of a tool that allows
people to auto-follow, I have a bit of insight into this.  While there are
many, many legitimate users that auto-follow others, and have good reason to
do so, some are using it as a way to game the system, build followers
quickly, break the Twitter TOS, and reduce the meaning of follower numbers
for many other users just using the service legitimately.  I see this daily,
amongst a few of my own users, and while, due to our privacy policy I can't
share who they are, I do have some suggestions that would make the API
follow limits make a little more sense.  Maybe you guys can provide more
insight.

-Currently the follow per day limit is 1,000 follows per user per day.
 There is no limit on the number of unfollows a user can do per day (that I
know of), and it appears as though there is also a limit of around 10% for
the number of users a person can follow more than follow them back.  The
users taking advantage of Twitter have figured this out.  So here's what
they do:

A "gamer"'s typical activity is that they will follow as many people as they
can - most up to the 1,000 limit they're allowed per day, until they hit the
ratio of 10%.  The higher the follower base they gain, the longer they're
able to do this.  They then hope a good portion of those 1,000 people follow
back.  Those that don't use tools like mine (which weren't intended to be
used this way) to unfollow everyone who is not following them back.  This is
often much greater than 1,000 for the users that are really good at it.  The
process then starts over.  They'll use tools like Hummingbird (Google it)
and Twollo to find people and automatically go out and follow them.  This is
why I refuse to create auto-follow filters to find new people on my service.
It's way too spammy if you ask me.

Why do they do this?  2 reasons: 1, "supposedly" having more followers means
more visits and clicks in whatever you're trying to promote. (I don't
believe this)  and 2, many of these people also have auto-DM set up to send
links and messages to each person that follows them back.  Back when I
offered this service (we disabled it for this exact reason) people told me
they were seeing significant clicks on the links they would send to people
via DM after they followed them.  Therefore, more follows==more clicks==more
revenue. I don't blame them if that's what they're really seeing.

So for this reason I think having limits in place is a *good* thing.  I
don't think the follow limit is in place due to traffic reasons, since there
are many more calls that cause more traffic on the API and there is no limit
to unfollows, so I really think Twitter is doing this for the purpose of
reducing spam and "gaming" of Twitter.  This is a good thing.

However, I think Twitter may be approaching the limits the wrong way.
 Here's what I think would be more effective, and beneficial for the
legitimate users that want to follow back and at the same time not allow
those who want to game the system to use the methods I described.  Twitter
needs to impose limits based on whether the individual is following the user
back or not.

For instance, if I follow @dacort and he is following me back, that
shouldn't count against me as a hit against my follow limit.  However, if I
try to follow @dacort and he is not following me back, it should count
against me as a hit against my limit.  With this, users could easily
auto-follow back if they choose to, and it would still be difficult for the
users trying to game the system and spam Twitter.  In fact, you could
significantly *reduce* the limit this way and make it virtually impossible
for these users to use Twitter in that manner.  If you were to look at the
relationship between the users when counting against limits, you could
probably reduce the follow/day limit all the way to around 200 per day
instead of 1,000 per day.  I don't see any reason for the 10%
follow/follower ratio with a low limit such as that.

However, as stands, the more followers you get, if you are using Twitter
legitimately, you have no way to extend the courtesy back if you choose to
do so, since after a certain point you will be following many more than
1,000 users per day.  And even if you aren't, it will take an extremely long
time for many individuals to finally catch up to follow those following them
if they want to at 1,000 follows per day.

I know there are some that disagree with the auto-follow concept.  However,
I also know most of you also want Twitter to be an open environment where
people can choose to use it as they please.  Doug, Alex, etc. I'd love it if
you guys could at least consider changing the follow limits as I mentioned.
 The current limits are doing nothing to prevent the spammers - my
suggestions I believe will, and will keep it an open environment for the
rest of us.

Sorry for the long discourse - I would really love to hear others thoughts
and suggestions.

@Jesse