Hi Doug
I tried the process suggested by you and this is the reply that I got:

Hi Vinayak Joshi,

You can change your user name at any time here:
http://admin.twitter.com/account/settings

Your messages, replies and content will not be affected, but we do recommend
that that you let your followers know about the name change with a tweet.

Twitter is not currently releasing inactive user names. Unless your user
name issue involves Terms of Service violations, you'll have to wait until
all inactive user names are released. We're working on a better long term
solution for this, and we should have more news soon.

* If your user name request concerns impersonation, trademark infringement,
copyright, or another Terms of Service violation, please submit a request to
the Terms of Service group via the web form. Be sure to pick the right item
from the drop down box for expedited help. Keep in mind that if there is no
content and no intent to mislead, there is most likely no infringement.

If you're unable to use our web form, please send your request to
te...@twitter.com for help from our Terms of Service group.

Thanks!
Twitter Support

What do we do now?