Thanks for the quick reply, Doug. From that I would create:

http://twitter.com/dougw/status/1472669360

if you change your screen name, that link is going to break. If it
didn't, I'd be fine with the Search API since it include screen_names
and status ids.

Or am I being obtuse and missing something in the status/show call's
return value that is permanently linkable?