It turns out they respond very quickly. Unforunately its with an email
that includes:

"Twitter is not currently releasing inactive user names. Unless your
user name issue involves Terms of Service violations, you'll have to
wait until all inactive user names are released. We're working on a
better long term solution for this, and we should have more news
soon."

Ahh well. :)