Martin,
This sounds like issue 795 [1].

When you get the 200, are you sending the same (duplicate) text as the last
successful update? If so, this is the expected behavior.

However, if you are sending new (non duplicate) text and you are hitting the
update limit, you should be receiving a HTTP 403 response code.

Can you specify exactly what you are doing so we can debug?

1. http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=795

Thanks,
Doug