I don't know all the inner workings of Search, but I'd assume that
each request is load balanced to a random set of horizontally
partitioned databases. Each set of databases will tend to be at a
slightly different point in replication. I would imagine that
providing perfectly consistent result sets across queries would be a
non-goal of such a search system. Non-real-time search engines can
mask or eliminate this issue, but masking this in a continuously
updated system would be a challenge. Deduplication and tolerance of
gaps between pages may be part of programming against a continuously
updated store.

-John Kalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.