Probably they think what they mentioned here is enough??
http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=617

Testing 20k calls for each user might be difficult .May be we should verify
this when IP is not whitelisted.I believe for many sites, it is not uncommon
to expect 200 users/hour with each user making 100 authorized calls. This
would easily make up 20k calls/hour even when IP is not whitelisted.But I
dont know  any such popular app.:(
If they are popular they get their IP whitelisted. :(