Random idea, but wouldn't a streaming API for DMs allow IM style
clients to be implemented on top of the twitter platform?  I know I
use DMs instead of MSN now, the delay is a bit of a pain but being
able to move the conversation from public to private is great, plus
sometimes you do want delayed IM conversations (for example, when
travelling) ;)

Thanks,
@Ben_Hall