Quick question from a a newbie to the API development.

Is there a way to connect a reply to a status update to the original
message?

i.e.

if Joe posts - "who has a red car?"

many people can reply to this message which is all public.

then after 4 hours Mary replies to that post and says - "i do.".

however, since Joe receives many many updates because he has thousands
of followers, he don't know why Mary is saying "i do" after 4 hours.

Is there a way to take a look at Mary's status update with the message
"I do" and connect it to Joe's original question "who has a red car?"

I only find status id and not reply_to_status_id.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Guna