How about a much more easy way?

I combined Elgg (was an open source platform for social networks) with
RSS (any RSS to HTML is fine too).
A live example you can find here: http://www.otd.to/iran/weblog/

and the RSS from twitter would be: http://search.twitter.com/search.rss?q=iran

Now you notice on OTD the LINK to twitter real status, as you wouldn`t
take credit for something someone else sayd.
And remember that Twitter dosen`t take credential for what ppl say.
It`s up to them (twitter users) to give access or set private.

Hope this helps you.

Sincerly, Cristian.