John's Twitter gem does not follow redirects as far as can I tell.
I've forked and made the necessary changes here:

http://github.com/jdg/twitter/commits/master/

Feel free to re-fork/pull/whatever.  I added an 'init.rb' so that it
can also be used as a plugin, rather than a gem.

best,
jonathan
(boxcar creator)