And this illustrates in part why hashtags filtering won't achieve
exactly what might be expected.

ie US based tweets about Football likely start rising right about now
as training camps open and end around the Super Bowl in Feb. But the
rest of the English speaking world would tweet about a very different
Football on a different schedule (what we in the US call soccer)

Further many tweets about football (of either type) wouldn't include
Football anywhere - would refer to a specific team (The Bears, ManU,
Hull, 49ers etc) or to players or coaches or to a league or
competition (worldcup, superbowl, afc etc)

Shannon

Sent from my iPhone