IDOLPeeps,

I feel you're being overly alarmist and haven't painted the situation
properly.

You can unfollow anyone you want. The issue is a quick follow and then
unfollowing if not reciprocated. You're *supposed* to follow someone
because you want to hear what they are saying, not because you want
them to hear what you say. People were churning in attempts to gather
mass numbers of followers. A lot of the MLM types did a good job at
this and soon had 20, 40, or even 60K followers. Now they are clamping
down.

Comparing the situation/rules to communist regimes or dictatorships is
a straw man argument and uncalled for. Surely given another post or
two and this would be a comparison to Hitler, fulfilling Godwin's law
of the internetz.

I'm speculating, but I have to wonder more about your friends that
were banned. Did they do exactly as Scoble (were they active members
for over two years and offering massive community contribution?)? Were
they following people prior to unfollowing? I know Scoble isn't going
on massive following kicks. Scoble's intentions were also made very
clear. Did your friends make their intentions clear? Had they been
following and unfollowing people a lot?

The other day I unfollowed about 30% of the people I was following. No
ban. They aren't playing favorites. They are looking at multiple
factors. If you're acting like a spammer, then you'll be treated like
one.

Churning and spam following is being cracked down on. Instead, grow
slowly, naturally and contribute to the community.

-David
http://WebEcologyProject.org