Just because in all cases you can't define premeditated murder doesn't
mean that premeditated murder isn't universally wrong.

"One person considers being followed by someone they don't want to be
followed by to be spam.  Others don't."

Very true, however when you ask that same person if being followed by
100 or 1000 people that they don't want to be followed by as spam I
would be surprised if anyone said no and that is the behavior this app
encourages.

"To blame a tool that enables people to follow someone is like blaming
the gun for killing.  That's just downright stupid, or in this case,
universally wrong.

Again very true, however one needs to use some common sense. It's ok
for people to own guns. It's not ok for people to own nuclear missiles
or anthrax. Why is that? We don't blame those tools for killing... We
ban there ownership because they have no legitimate use for every day
normal people.

My Twitter Butler falls into the nuclear missile category. I can think
of no legitimate uses for wanting to follow 400 people who input any
keyword.

You could make the case of a niche market, I mean if you wanted to
connect with people who liked to fly fish in dubai then you could look
for #flyfishingindubai but with the smallness of that group the
twitter web interface and manually following works just fine. At any
scale where you need an app to follow people based on keywords the
uses are only malicious.

The only scenario I can think of that is legitimate is to compare
other tweets of those who are interested in one topic. Ie if people
mention #Dell what other habits do they have? However this behavior
can be achieved by running searches for #Dell, culling the user names
and accessing their streams directly alleviating the need for mass
following.

If there is a use case I haven't thought of please feel free to enlighten me.

Also as a final note, I've never heard of your application nor do I
have any knowledge of what it does (and I'm intentionally not going to
look until this thread is done) so I don't want you to think this is a
personal attack. I'm just trying to observe the reason for the TOS
violation and make a case for why it is a reasonable part of the TOS.

-Bob