Perhaps I have missed it (I have looked) but is there is a way to search
ONLY the tweets from people whom a user of your service follows? i.e. after
OAuth then search all the tweets from folks whom they are following -
including @reply's and accounts who are set private? Ideally as far into the
past as the API's will allow access but limited to a time period would be
useful as well.

As best I can tell the search API isn't authenticated and is against only
public tweets.

Have I missed a functionality?

If not, is anything like this planned for a future API? (before I start
building the tools to handle it via more manual processes myself - i.e. for
authenticated users get all the tweets from everyone the follow over time
and build my own search engine against that dataset)

Shannon