My understanding is that all tweets will contain geo-location
information: if the information was supplied when the tweet was created,
that will be used; if no information was supplied, then the "default"
location from the user's profile will be used.

I, too, have several comments and questions.

1. What if the location in a user's profile can't be geo-coded and no
geo-location is provided when creating a tweet? I would hope that no
geo-location is then provided in the tweet.

2. If it is possible to not have a geo-location attached to a tweet,
e.g., because of the circumstances above, then I suggest that there be a
parameter on the status/create method that suppresses copying the
default geo-location to the tweet.

In fact it should probably be the other way around, i.e., *DO* include
the default location, for security reasons such as those mentioned by
Lepton. I understand this will probably (significantly) reduce the
number of tweets that are geo-coded, but I think this is appropriate
given the sensitivity of the geo-location: I think users should have to
"opt-in" on a tweet by tweet basis to have their tweets geo-located.

3. Will twitter be going back and geo-coding the locations given in
existing twitter accounts? If so, will it be all at once as a batch, or
the first time an old account is used to create a tweet with a
geo-location, or something else?

4. Presumably an update of an account's location will cause that new
location to be geo-coded. Will there be a delay in this, as we see with
other updates to information in twitter, or will it be instantaneous,
i.e., will the next tweet created for an account whose location is
updated be guaranteed to contain the new location's geo-code?

5. I like the idea of levels of disclosure of geo-location information,
but I don’t think this can be practically implemented.

Jim Renkel