I've always just stored as 64bit integers, I'd assumed that 32bit wouldn't be
enough.

Now, if it goes above 64bit then I'm screwed, because neither my language or
database have built in support for that! :P

From: JDG
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:21 AM
To: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
Subject: [twitter-dev] Re: Alert: "Twitpocalypse II" coming Friday, September
11th - make sure you can handle large status IDs!

if you were on signed32 you'd have had a problem a long time ago. not quite
sure why people haven't just taken to treating/storing as strings -- sure
there's a bit more overhead mem/storage-wise, but you don't have to change your
code every few months.