Boy, this concerns me. People definitely need to be able to add their
own comments to the RT.

And removing the retweets if someone deletes the original tweet?!  No
way. Once it's retweeted, that retweet "belongs" to the retweeter and
must stay. I think it violates social media principles to delete them.