I'm sorry, but the problem isn't Twitter- its your language and JSON
parser. Outputting everything as a string, when it clearly should be a
number, is inefficient and crazy.

Saying that startups can't afford 64 bit processors in systems is
crazy. Most startups I know are running on EC2 or have fairly new
hardware. I bought a killer 64-bit quad xeon server for less than
$1,500 for our startup and its rocking. If your startup doesn't have
$1,500 for a primary capital computing expense that's another problem
you have there.

You either need to run on a newer system or use a language that can
properly handle 64-bit numbers. C, Python, Ruby, Scala, Erlang, C#,
etc.... none of them have problems with 64-bit ints.

Not a Twitter problem. It's a programming issue on your end and
unfortunately I can't help as I don't know PHP in depth.

-dave