I've noticed this issue with the social graph methods as well.

I can see who's following a protected user via the website. ex:
http://twitter.com/msmosso/followers

But you can't get this data from the API anymore. ex: curl -u
username:password http://twitter.com/friends/ids/msmosso.xml

This is a recent change. Maybe 2 weeks ago this happened.

I wonder if I should expect the behavior to go back like it was, or if
I should start asking protected account holder to authenticate if they
want to see their Friend Or Follow page. Any ideas?

Dusty