The /shadow resource, (along with /firehose, /birddog, /follow, and
all the /*track urls) have been deprecated. The rewrite rules that
allow them to function may be removed at any time. All developers
should be using only the documented resources. When you connect,
you'll get the appropriate level of access. Behind the scenes, you are
already using the /1/statuses/filter method...

Your level of access is not determined by IP address or by the URL you
connect to. Rather access is determined by roles assigned to
usernames.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.