Sure, I'm just using a whitelisted account to query twitter for the
provided ID's. I then cache that data for 5 days as user id's don't
tend to change much. Combined with the various IPs that app engine
uses, it seems to do OK.

The service also provides for programmatic access to twitter avatars
(hence the name) and it's on use on a few different sites. When the
avatars get queried, I also populate the cache for the screen_name ->
id and vice versa.

It's all on appengine and currently serving about 100k-200k requests/
day.