I agree. I use multiple clients throughout the day and the ability to
know where I left off is a huge plus so that I don't have to
"memorize" what the last tweet I read was (especially if its been a
while). Although it would be a bit difficult and can turn into a
nightmare for the website. For example, with email, we must list all
our email and if we have a lot of people emailing us (this is
equivalent to people we follow), we end up with a backlog that we must
go through and mark everything read by hand (or select all then mark
as read). It can make things a little overwhelming, unless they are
automatically marked as read once you log out (fetch only those since
the last login).