I have been using 3-4 scripts, to collect data, using the streaming
APIs. Each script opens up a socket and keeps it open, unless it's
closed by twitter (maintenance, problems, etc.). Each script checks
for a pulse, and re-opens the socket when the Twitter service is back
in business.

This was working for a while, but now I can only get one socket opened
at a time. When I start the next script, the previous one disconnects.

I am using fsockopen: fsockopen("stream.twitter.com", 80,  &$err_no, &
$err_msg, 30)

The scripts run on a Linux system. fsockopen implicitly binds to 0
locally, so my system should be assigning a different local ports for
each script. Why can't I keep more than one socket open at the same
time?