Twitter is being incredibly stupid, rash, and short-sighted about
this.

Does AT&T write to Microsoft and say, hey, our network is getting a
lot of junk email sent through Microsoft Outlook.  We therefore demand
you get rid of the CC and BCC features of that product.  Of course
not!

That Twitter is now focusing on regulating Twitter APPS shows that it
has a weak and ineffective user regulation system in place.  It can't
effectively police its users, so it decides to go after apps that they
(may) use.  Cheap shot.  It's like stopping drunk driving by banning
all driving after dark.  Do they really think that that is going to
work?  Sure, they can probably slam down Web-based clients that use
dedicated, whitelisted IP addresses.  But as I pointed out earlier,
this will just shift the behavior, and make it even more nettlesome.
Now it will move to desktop clients that they cannot stop (yes, they
can still ban individual members for duplicate content, but they
cannot stop the sale and use of the desktop client).

Months ago I emailed Twitter asking them what OUR responsibilities
were as app developers.  I think all of us understand and recognize
that many of our apps have features that could be abused.  I think
many of us are perfectly willing to police our own apps, and work with
Twitter to help reign in behavior that isn't acceptable.  But it seems
out-of-bounds for Twitter to bypass such a cooperative system, and
instead just carte blanche ban a particular app feature that has many
legitimate uses.