I just ran your exact code, and was able to pull an xml string just fine, so I do not believe it is your code. The only thing I can think is you may want to curl_close() the connection, perhaps there is some caching or other similar thing in effect, though that is a big long shot.

Maybe try curl on the command line, on the same host, and see what your results are, if that works, you can start looking at your code, otherwise, it may just be an temporary glitch in the API.

You may want to look into doing some more testing in your command though, return the headers, and look at the http responses, so you know when you have a 200 ok one, versus some of the others, in which case you will want to be abel to gracefully degrade your application in some way.

Sorry I could not be of more help.