From: Scott Haneda <talkli...@newgeo.com>
To: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
Sent: Sat, October 17, 2009 9:22:44 PM
Subject: [twitter-dev] Re: What is included In the "Queries are limited 140 URL
encoded  characters." restriction?

I am not sure I understand the confusion, the API is 140 characters exactly in
the query string.  You can run this, don't run it often, or put a sleep 1; in
the loop if you do.

#!/bin/bash

# This script assumes you pre url encode your data.
# Request url
URL="http://search.twitter.com/search.json?q=";;

for (( i = 1; i < 200; i++ )); do
     # Current position/length
     echo "Query Length: "$i;

     # Shove on another character
     j=$j'A'

     # The url we are about to poke
     echo $URL$j

     RESULT=$( curl -o /dev/null -s -w "%{http_code} %{size_request}" {$URL$j} )

     # Show http_code
     http_code=`echo $RESULT | awk '{print $1}'`
     echo http_code: $http_code
     # Show size_request
     size_request=`echo $RESULT | awk '{print $2}'`
     echo size_request: $size_request \(Sent bytes\)

     echo ""
done

Here is a snip of the results, from the first, to the last bits around 140,
right when you hit 141, it goes from http 200, to http 403.  Though this script
should make it rather easy to test what happens with url encoded characters.  I
do not think it matters, each character is a character, so if it is a space,
that will get url encoded into %20 taking up three characters.

Query Length: 1
http://search.twitter.com/search.json?q=A
http_code: 200
size_request: 163 (Sent bytes)