Yeah. The documentation is sketchy. I wasn't able to fine anything
definitive from Twitter:

http://help.twitter.com/forums/10711/entries/68916

"Additional limits if you are following 2000 or more people:
The rules about aggressive following and follow churn still apply. In
addition, every user can follow 2000 people total. Once you’ve
followed 2000 users, there are limits to the number of additional
users you can follow: this limit is different for every user and is
based on your ratio of followers to following."

Others have described the ratio as 10% more than you are currently
following:

http://www.using-twitter.com/blog/twitters-2000-follower-limit/

"So, the limit of following 2,000 people was contrived as a mechanism
to prevent follow spamming.  Once you have around 1,800 followers you
can start following 10% followers more than are currently following
you.  So, at 2,000 followers following you, you can follow a total of
2,200 people on Twitter."

Leon