Ideally this could all be done in the search query.  Append who:everybody,
who:friends, or who:self (I believe FriendFeed does something like this) to
the query and it only searches the specified people.  This way no API
changes are needed.  Only backend infrastructure to handle the new query
terms.

Jesse