I'm doing the same thing - communicating data back to the UI via AJAX
and JSON.  Haven't noticed problems but I'm not using the PHP
json_encode functions.

Where you able to determine whether it was JQuery or PHP? Through your
logging facility (e.g log4PHP and the JQuery debug console) see at
what point the JSON data is corrupted.

Using log4PHP, I dump all inputs & outputs to the database during
development. You can check this information on your failures to help
troubleshoot. For AJAX, 'm using Dojo which has a console for
debugging. But I'm sure jQuery has similar debugging facility.

Leon