The assumption is that client services will, in any case, have to
parse and route statuses to potentially multiple end-users. Providing
this sort of hint wouldn't eliminate the need to parse the status and
would likely result in duplicate effort. We're aware that we are, in
some use cases, externalizing development effort, but the uses cases
for the Streaming API are so many, that it's hard to define exactly
how much this feature would help and therefore how much we're
externalizing.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.