Ops has been trying to track down this problem for a while. They
confirmed that all servers have the correct cert. The current
hypothesis is that there are some rogue servers that are being load
balanced to that we don't expect to be accepting api.twitter.com
traffic that do not have the correct cert. Sorry it's not fixed yet.
We hope we can figure it out soon as it's a blocker for the transition
of api traffic from twitter.com to api.twitter.com.

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter Platform Team