I wouldn't depend on Search returning high-throughput full-corpus
results forever. Its eventual value is in providing relevance and
ranking, just as every other search engine offers (Google, Bing, Y!,
etc. etc.).

I'm unaware of any firm dates, but this is overall story arc.
Automated repetitive search should be largely via the Streaming API.
The Search API is exceedingly expensive to provide in its current
form, so I wouldn't expect overly-gracious transition periods.
Instead, I'd expect various knobs to be turned steadily and
progressively after a reasonable grace period.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.