This is probably the wrong place to ask as this isn't quite an API
matter, so please forgive me and point me in the right direction if it
is...

I have an idea where I would like to use php's imagecreate() to
dynamically create a background image for a profile on a periodic
basis...

I'm thinking something along the lines of a 'photo of the week'
appearing as a sidebar (on monitors that have a large enough width...)

Being that custom background images have to be uploaded from the users
local computer, what are the possibilities here? (Could this be done
through the API?)

Just a rough sketch in my head, thanks...