Exactly. That's what I can't figure out.

I'm not passing any authentication info:

http://twitter.com/friends/ids.json?user_id=A
http://twitter.com/friends/ids.json?user_id=J
http://twitter.com/friends/ids.json?user_id=K ... etc

It appears that, afterward, any attempts to login from the same IP
(that I made the Social graph calls) fail (because the account is
locked). I spoke with Mark and one possible explanation is that when
you make the call without
providing proper authentication, they're treating it like a failed
attempt to login.

The locked account has IP lockout entries that match his last login IP
(which is the same one I'm making the social graph calls from). So the
suggestion was to use authenticated requests for the API.