Not really sure how capping followers would be of much benefit.
A better solution might be better "garbage collection" of inactive or
spam accounts.
I believe twitter already does this, maybe not the best it could, but
there is something in place.
Capping the follower limit will hurt users who actually want to follow
the user, but are no longer able
to do so because the account has already been flooded with other
accounts. Some of these being "old"
followers who no longer use twitter or spam bots that got by the
anti-spam measures.

>From a technical standpoint on twitter's end, followers is not a
really intense calcuation.
Friends on the other hand are, since you need to query everyone of
them to build the home timeline.
Followers one the other hand have no "timeline". So not sure I see any
gains there for capped followers.

Just my two cents,

Josh