Can you check with that user to see if they have background images set
to display?

On my own profile, I turned off the background image and while it does
not appear on my web profile, the old image URL still appears if you
call users/show/epc.xml.
Replacing the background image does not appear to turn on background
image display.

So there appear to be a few issues:
 - you can turn on/off the display of a background image through the
Web UI but not the API
 - there's no information in the results of users/show to indicate
whether or not the user’s background image is to be displayed
 - uploading a new background image via the API does not cause the
image to be displayed

Unsure if these are bugs or missing features.
--
-ed costello