Speaking of rate limiting, I was trying to learn the Twitter API and Net::Twitter by making "six degrees of twitter" that would figure out how many hops it was from Account A to Account B when I ran up against limiting.

The way I had thought of doing it was basically the list of whom a person follows and if they follow back its a valid Nth degree hop. Then get whom that hop is following, see if they are following back, and just cycle outwards until you find the destination account. I'm sure you can see how quickly that eats up a rate limit.

Is the only way around that to apply for whitelisted status? Or are there some API tricks that I, as a noob, haven't stumbled across yet?