The value lies in the particular properties of a real social graph, as
opposed to an artificially generated one. The sort of questions it's useful
for are primarily social rather than mathematical. For a summary of some
existing research on similar data sets, see:

http://petewarden.typepad.com/searchbrowser/2010/02/social-network-data-and-research.html